Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Coalville History Museum







Today I went to Coalville to visit the historic museum in the basement of the City Hall. It was quite cluttered and their notes were repeated all over the place but I really enjoyed seeing some of the items they had on display. They had a room for the kitchen, a bedroom, a mining/agriculture room, a creamery, a parlor (I think), a general store, seems like there was one more room but I can't recall what was in it.

The other reason for the trip was to go to the extension office. There are lots of berries/fruit growing around here and I wanted to find out if they are edible and what they are so I know in the future. I brought in 5-6 different fruits but he could only confirm two of them (and one I found out for sure on the internet). Can you guess what they are?







1. night shade (lethal if swallowed)
2. teeny tiny crab apples
3. hawthorne berries (notice the thorn on the limb, it's just a small one)

I had already decided those were hawthorne berries but I just wanted to make sure before spent hours harvesting the berries. It's supposed to be really good for your heart. I'll just freeze them and take them to Boise where I have all the tools I need to process it into syrup and can it. :o)

1 comment:

Valerie said...

I'm glad you are doing well enough to do some fun things before you move.

Related Posts with Thumbnails