Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Day 5

Bryce - Kodachrome Basin State Park
4:25:23
25.52 miles
5.8 avg. speed
611 ft ascent 2266 ft descent

Since it was a short day, we were all lazy about getting going. It was a very cold morning & we had a pretty big descent to go down so no one was in a rush. Chill wind would have been too severe. But as it turned out, I didn't go downhill that quickly. There was too much wonderful sceery to look at so I stopped a lot. Stopped to do a short hike to Mossy Cave & Falls. There were some hoodoos too, but not nearly as many as in Bryce.

I caught up to Dave & Rob Jones in Tropic. They had just finished their second breakfast while I was only there for water and a restroom. I did end up buying some snacks in the store though. When I got out to my bike, Cheryl was sitting there eating a Subway sandwich.. All 4 of us took off together but I soon spotted a pioneer museum and broke from the pack. Turned out it wasn't open.

It was a very nice ride. I took my time being a tourist. I found a sandal on the side of the road and thought it was Randy's so I strapped it to the bike. I took it all the way to camp but it wasn't his after all. Oh well.

Got to the turnoff for Kodachrome. The Escalante Staircase National Monument visitors' center was there. I went in but it really isn't much to look at. I took a back road and found the city hall building. It had 3 apple trees. They were dropping apples so I grabbed some for the group and threw them in my handlebar bag.

I came across Rob & Dave who wasfixing a flat. They still got to camp before me though.

I went for the nature walk, then did the Grand Parade hike as well. Dinner was another group thing. We all had to carry two items in for it. I carried a box of no bake cheesecake and a can of mixed veggies. Dinner was reay by the time I got back. Some kind of soup. It was good. Dessert was a vanilla cheesecake and a chocolate one. We ate very well tonight!

Had a shower, washed my dishes & clothes. Then it was time to head to the star show. Wegot to look at a ring nebula, Jupiter & 3 of its moons, M-82 - the cigar galaxy, and a star cluster in Hercules. The night was getting pretty chilly at that point so I left.

It's 10 now. I'm exhausted. Good nigh!


Only antelope sighting



Mossy Cave
Mossy Cave Falls





Rob Jones

Dave






2 comments:

Valerie said...

You don't even live in Utah and you see more of it than I do. So pretty!

Heather and Thomas Mann said...

Great pics! glad you enjoyed yourself... although the trip would be torture for me! way to go, accomplishing your goal and all

Related Posts with Thumbnails