Monday, June 6, 2011

homemade drain declogger

I washed all four dogs in our bath tub...more than once. Well, it finally was clogged beyond clogged. It took three days to drain completely and it left behind a film of slime and hair. It was so nasty. The picture below doesn't show the nastiness very well...which is good because it would be very embarrassing.

If you know me, you know I dislike chemicals and avoid them whenever possible. I found a recipe online for drain cleaner. It's super simple. You pour a 1/4 cup of baking soda down the drain, then follow that (slowly) by 1/4 cup white vinegar.

It was so bad at first that the baking soda had nowhere to go! I did that a few times. It broke down the clog enough that I was able to actually get some of it out. I did the baking soda thing one more time. (Now that's a more embarrassing picture.) It foams up a lot!

Then, I followed that with a pot of boiling water. It drained immediately! I never had that good of a success with Draino! They say that if you do that once a month, you shouldn't ever get clogs again...with my long hair and the dog's fur, I really need to do that!

Five minutes after I cleared the clog, my tub was nice and clean! It's a miracle!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooh, shiny. I like it! Great tip, we'll have to try it. Not to mention, all those drain cleaners are expensive, think how much money you might save!

Stella Andes said...

That's awesome! I heard that it would work, but I never tried it. Now that's what I will use from now on. Thanks for the tip!

Tiff :o) said...

Yay! So glad to have helped you guys out. Let me know how it goes, if you use it.

Valerie said...

hehe great job !

no way i bath my cats, i promise or i would need the help of all the village :P

Tiff :o) said...

My neighbor (when I was about 8)had a cat that needed a bath so we took it outside and my friend held it while I sprayed it with the hose. She got scratched up pretty badly and the cat ran off. Not much longer, my parents let me have the cat. We had him for a couple years and he always remembered that water spraying, I think. He used to dig his fangs into my arm and scratch all the skin off my arm while I was screaming and flailing my arm around. He was evil... I would never give another cat a bath either after that!

Related Posts with Thumbnails