Monday, May 9, 2011

sourdough makes a comeback

I finally got my sourdough aged enough that I could use it for making bread. That "sourdough" I made with yeast only worked for one loaf of bread. I put it in the fridge like regular sourdough starter and when I pulled it out to feed it (and to make another loaf of bread) it never revived. So, a couple of months ago, I started a real sourdough starter again. I've made pancakes with it in that time, waiting for it to be ready to make bread. Finally, I don't have to feed it everyday since it's tucked in my fridge, waiting for the next time I pull it out to be used.

I fed it enough so that I would have enough starter to make a couple loaves in the morning. I came into the kitchen to find this.


Hot stack, all for me since Adam doesn't like pancakes.



I have made this recipe before and really enjoyed it. Last time, I made it with white flour. This time I used wheat. It tastes good but is dry and crumbly so definitely not a good sandwich bread. Although, I stuck it in the fridge and it seems to not be falling apart nearly as much when it's chilled.


Rustic Country Sourdough Bread





4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast (2 packages dry yeast)
1 1/4 cups warm water (105-110 degrees F)
1 cup sourdough starter (at room temperature)
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 tablespoon kosher salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup sunflower oil
4 -5 cups unbleached flour, divided
sunflower oil
melted butter


Directions:
1 Place the eggs in warm water and let sit for about 10-15 minutes.
2 Warm the KA bowl by filling with hot water, dumping it out and towel dry.
3 Dissolve the yeast in water in your KA mixing bowl.
4 Let stand 5 minutes.
5 On speed 1, stir in sourdough starter, sugar, salt, eggs, oil and 3 cups flour.
6 Gradually add remaining flour or enough that the dough will separate from the sides of the mixing bowl. This should take about 8 minutes.
7 Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
8 Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees F), free from drafts, 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
9 Punch dough down; divide in half and shape each half into a loaf. (These also can be make into dinner rolls.).
10 Place loaves in greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pans.
11 Brush top with oil.
12 Cover loaves; let rise in a warm place (85 degrees F), free from drafts, about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
13 Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans and brush with melted butter.

2 comments:

Heather and Thomas Mann said...

Holy stack of pancakes! My friend gave me a starter... but I, oddly, didn't have flour or sugar to feed it. It died. Sad day!

Tiff :o) said...

Wow, no flour or sugar?? I don't feed mine sugar but to not have any in the house is amazing. I actually had to run to the store at 10 one night because I ran out of rye flour (which is what mine does best on) and if I didn't feed it, I knew it would die.

Related Posts with Thumbnails