Tuesday, May 17, 2011

mending: replacing a button

Adam's church pants are the same pair that I used to have Mom teach me how to hand hem on. Adam wasn't altogether satisfied with my work since it was all lumpy and bumpy at the hemline. It's true, I didn't do a very good job since it was my first time but I was proud of my handiwork anyway. Now, the pants have lost the button.

I had tried sewing buttons on when we were first married. It seemed like a simple thing but they would always come off for some reason. I did a search on the internet and found out that there has to be some slack in the threads so it can manuver into button hole without stressing out the button and threads during the proccess as well as while it's being worn. So the way I accomplish this, is by simply putting a toothpick between the button and the pants. Unlike the darning, this uses a double strand of thread with a knot at the end.

When I'm done weaving the threads through the holes, I remove the toothpick and wrap the thread around the threads where the toothpick was creating a shaft. Then, I bring the needle and thread back down through the fabric and tie off. It's a simple change that has made all the difference in how well the buttons stay on. Now, 2 more buttons to go on other clothes before I am done with replacing buttons for the moment.


Valerie said...

Girl, I can't keep up with all your posts lately. I finally got to read them all today. Hope you're having a good week.

Heather and Thomas Mann said...

Great tidbit! I never knew that it needed slack! Thanks for sharing your handiwomanliness (yes that is a word!)

Tiff :o) said...

Valerie, that's what happens when you don't really post for a couple months. I'm nearing the end of the catch up posts though.

Handiwmonaliness...I like it. :o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails