Wednesday, May 18, 2011

soaked whole grain tortillas

If you remember from previous posts, I am soaking flour and grains in an acidic base which helps to neutralize phytochemicals making it easier for your body to digest the food. One of the things I learned how to make soaked is flour tortillas. When making corn tortillas, I don't have to soak them since the corn has already been soaked in lime before being packaged for selling. So corn tortillas are what I make when I haven't thought ahead enough but if I think about it soon enough, I prefer to have these. They're soft, pliable and yummy. I made them super thick one time and Adam really didn't like that so these are still thicker than storebought but not nearly as thick as the ones he complained about. I like them thick.




3 cups whole wheat or kamut flour

1 cup warm filtered water

1 Tbsp acid medium (kefir, whey, buttermilk, yogurt, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice)

1/4 cup coconut oil or butter, melted

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt


Directions:


Combine flour, water, melted coconut oil or butter and 1 Tbsp of acid medium. Cover and allow to soak at room temperature for 12-24 hours.


After soaking, add baking powder and salt to soaked flour mixture, kneading in the flour until the dough is workable but not too stiff.


Shape into 8 – 10 balls and let stand 10 more minutes.


Roll to form a 10 inch circle or use a tortilla press.


Bake on a lightly greased griddle till done (not browned). Toast for about 20-30 sec. per side.
Yield: 8-10 tortillas.


I roll one out and throw it on the griddle, go back and roll out another one. After I add that to the griddle, I flip the first one. I roll another out and take off the first one and place the new one in its spot. Then, I flip the other tortilla already on the griddle and on down the line until I've made all the tortillas. I don't know how long that ends up being but it turns out a little longer than the time she suggests and it works just fine.

2 comments:

Heather and Thomas Mann said...

Looks yummy!

Valerie said...

gosh they look delicious !
if only my body could tolerate gluten !! :(

Related Posts with Thumbnails