I used lime green, dark green and red streamer which are the main colors I used in all the decorations. This is 200 feet of garland.
I placed the three streamer rolls on the floor and the table stopped them from rolling away so I could just pull on them and not have to deal with the rolls at all, except for what was in my hands. I layered them so each green was peeking out of either side of the red (which I had underneath the greens).
I turned the tension to the highest it would go then sewed. It's as simple as that. But you shouldn't pull it through the back or you will stretch the threads and not get as much gathering. Cool, huh?!
This is what it comes out looking like.
So for the second type of garland, I did something completely different. This was actually the first thing I started working on since I knew it would be VERY time consuming. I wanted to make sure it got done.
I used lime green, dark green and light blue for this one. I cut strips of all the colors into 24 inch strips. Then I cut them all in half, width wise. I tied them onto the string. I tied a bunch of red on, then began filling in the other colors one at a time. It worked well for me that way. When I ran out of empty line, I had to move the line further down the hall and start again.
I made 3 different segments since my house isn't long enough to accommadate 100 feet of it. The dogs were constantly get under foot...trying to get my attention. This one took me almost two weeks and I had to stay up until 1 every night to get it done in that time. It was easy but took so much time. I will never make 100' again. But I can see making it for a party someday in shorter lengths. I really like how it looked.
Here is a glimpse of what they look like hung together. I'll show pics of the whole gym later after I show more individual projects I worked on for this party.