Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas baking



Just like every other Christmas, I waited until the last minute to get everything done so it was busy and hectic. Every year I say I have learned my lesson. I hope you were better than me and finished everything early so you could feel the joy of the season. It's always great to have family gathered close...and if I can't have mine close by at least I can have Adam's family.

I am still not eating sugar but I am happy to make sugary goodness for others. I made three different things. Toffee, mint brownies and a cookie bar type thing that I can't remember what it was called but it was the hands down favorite. I couldn't get a good picture of it for the life of me though. Here's the toffee.


I made about 15 plates and was able to deliver about 12 of them. I still have the other 3 in my car. I just ran out of time and now I think they'll be too stale so I guess I will just pitch them. I made the tags.


There is one family at church who eats raw food only and I wanted to do something special for them since the mom made a fireplace for the Christmas play at the party (still have more to post from that party). So I made these raw cookies which are supposed to be like macaroons but really aren't. They weren't sweet at all so I made a sauce from pureed strawberries and strained yogurt. I was able to have some of these since there was no sugar.


Aside from the sweets, I also did some bread baking. Besides the raw dessert I made for that family, I also gave them a portion of my sourdough starter. Since I pulled it out and fed it, I decided to make some of our favorite sourdough bread. I'll have to post the recipe some time. I made four loaves (yesterday morning). One is almost gone and another is at my in-law's. I imagine the other two will disappear before I have to freeze them.


And the other bread I made is my all time favorite. It's a soaked bread. I've posted this recipe before. No matter what, I can't get it to rise nice and big but it is always silky smooth and so yummy! I made some rolls with the same recipe for some bean/grain burgers a friend made for us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Silky smooth bread...that would be wonderful! My kids love toffee...I only made a small batch and they wanted more...I think it is smart to stick with the very favorites! I think you are smart to bake at the last minute...that is my plan for next year. That is fresher, and less wasteful as you wouldn't be able to over-bake. So nice of you to make those no-bake cookies. (and bread starter). love,andrea

Anonymous said...

Hi Tiff...I just (thanks to your suggestion) made orange sorbet with the blendtec. It is so simple and good! (would be even better on a summer day). love,andrea

Tiff :o) said...

I actually saw an idea that doesn't even require baking. You make up some dough, scoop into cookie size and freeze...then you deliver those with cooking instructions. They can make it after all the other holiday treats are gone. I like that ideaand may do it next year...we'll see.

That Blendtec is so amazing in its versatility, isn't it?? I agree, sweltering summer days makes ice cream/sorbet even better.

Related Posts with Thumbnails