Monday, April 27, 2009

Meatloaf & Peanut Butter Pie

Well for some reason, I can no longer add pictures to my blogs. I hope that the ability comes back for me at some point but I will have to live without that for now. Bummer.

This is what I made while the Mendozas were here. The meatloaf is one of our favorites and we have it fairly often. I've never made it with the currant jelly but I have used blackberry jelly and I liked it. We don't usually have any jelly on it though.

Vegetable Stuffed Turkey Loaf

1 slightly beaten egg
1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
1/2 cup finely chopped onion (1 medium)
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
1 cup chopped broccoli
2/3 cup shredded carrot
1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons currant jelly, melted

1. In a medium mixing bowl combine egg, bread crumbs, onion, milk, thyme rosemary, garlic salt, and pepper. Add turkey; mix well. On waxed paper pat turkey mixture into a 12x8-inch rectangle; set aside.

2. For vegetable stuffing, in a saucepn cook broccoli, carrots, and sweet pepper, covered, in a small amount of boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes or till crisp-tender. Drain well. Stir in Parmesan cheese.

3. Spread vegetable stuffing over turkey mixture to within 1 inch of sides. Beginning at a short end, roll turkey tightly using waxed paper to lift mixture. Peel waxed paper away as you roll. Place in a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.

4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or till no longer pink (meat thermometer registers 180 degrees). Transfer to a serving platter; brush with melted jelly.

This pie is a recipe I found in a magazine ad. I don't usually like cream pies but I really like this one! This was the pie I was making when I burned my fingers while making homemade hot fudge.I liked it better with the homemade hot fudge but the store bought stuff is good too.

Decadent Peanut Butter Pie

1 prepared chocolate cookie pie crust
1 cup creamy peanut butter
8 oz. cream cheese (at room temperature)
12 oz container of non dairy whipped topping, divided (I use homemade whipped cream)
1 11.75 oz. jar hot fudge, divided
1/2 cup sugar
drizzle: 2 tbs. hot fudge and 2 tbs. creamy peanut butter

In a medium bowl, beat together peanut butter, cream cheese and sugar. Gently fold in 3 cups whipped topping. Spoon mixture into pie shell. Using a spatula, smooth mixture to edges of pie.

Reserving 2 tbs. of hot fudge, place remaining hot fudge into microwave safe bowl or glass measuring cup. Microwave for i minute, stir. Spread hot fudge over pie to cover peanut butter layer.

Refrigerate until serving time. Just before serving, spread the remaining whipped topping over the hot fudge layer, careful not to mix the two layers.

Place 2 tbs. hot fudge in a small baggie and knead for a few seconds. Cut a tiny hole in the corner of the bag and drizzle over pie. Do the same with 2 tbs. peanut butter going in the opposite direction of the hot fudge.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Funny. I was just thinking about these today. I was going to post about them in my Boise post and didn't. Yummmm! Thanks for the good food.

Related Posts with Thumbnails