Saturday, August 9, 2008

Crash and burn at Soldier Hollow






The ride started off well enough. I parked behind the visitor's center in Heber and rode out toward Midway. I really had no idea where I was headed. I found Old Town Heber which had some art galleries, an antique shop and a restaurant made from old looking buildings...my kind of place. I had nice views of the mountains. I was going to try to make it to Cascade Sprnigs but the road was steep and turned into gravel. I had no traction at all so I gave up on that idea and headed to Wasatch Mountain State Park. I ended up in Soldier Hollow (where they held the 2002 winter Olympics). I made my way onto the paved cross country ski trails. There was a very cute one-room cabin in the center (if I could buy it and live there, I think I would). I finished one loop and decided to do one more loop to see if I could get a good picture of the cabin. No such luck. :o( I was almost back to the gate when I took a sharp turn going too fast and ended up sliding down the asphalt getting a good case of road rash and a huge bruise on my hip. 2 weeks later, I can now walk around, sit (in a chair crowded with towels and blankets to let my right leg float) and I even drove a short distance last night just to see. It was very uncomfortable but I could do it. A bad ending to am otherwise beautiful ride which may end my riding in Utah...we'll see.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

You got some pretty photos! Too bad the ride had such a bad ending. Which is worse, the pain or not getting to ride in Utah again? I hope you're feeling better. See ya' Wednesday.

Related Posts with Thumbnails