Saturday, May 16, 2009

Millet Loaf

This is my next dish with the grains I bought. I loved it. I tried it with a bean sauce which was good but after a little bit, I decided the flavors didn't mesh too well. The next time I ate it, I tried it with ketchup, like I would with a meatloaf but that wasn't real great. This time, I actually tried it with gravy, like the recipe suggested and it was definitely the best so I will be sticking with that.

Millet has a nutty kind of flavor.

Millet Loaf

1 1/2 cups millet
3 3/4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1 1/2 cups carrot, finely diced
1 cup celery, finely diced
1 cup onion finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 1/2 teaspoons dill weed
1 teaspoondried thyme
1 curoasted sunflower seeds (optional)
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour

Directions
1. Rinse millet and put it in a medium saucepan with the water and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook, lid ajar slightly, over medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until soft; the millet should absorb all the water.
2. Saute the carrots, celery, onions and garlic in sesame oil until onions are translucent. Add the seasonings.
3. Mix the cooked millet and the veggies together, along with the sunflower seeds, if you wish.
4. Add 3 tbsp flour to the millet mixture, blending well.
5. Lightly oil (and flour, optional) 2 loaf pans. Press the millet mixture into the pan, and bake at 400 F for one hour (45 minutes if the millet is still warm when you put it into the pan).
6. Allow the loaf to cool for about 10 minutes before turning it out onto a platter and slicing.
7. Serve with mashed potatoes, green beans and lots of brown gravy.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails