Thursday, May 7, 2009

Lentils & rice

I posted a question on the help desk. No one answered my question but someone else posted about the same problem I was having. They got an answer. The reason I was having trouble was because I was using the edit Html button. So I can post pictures again.

This recipe ceoms from a book about grains & dried beans. It's simple to make and I love the earthy flavor of it. The recipe didn't call for enough water so I listed what I ended up using by the time it was done cooking.

Rice with Lentils, Esau-Style

1 cup lentils
1 cup unprocessed long-grain white rice
2 tsp. salt
1 large onion, sliced
2 tbsp. oil

Boil the lentils in 3 cups water with 1 tsp of the salt for 15 - 20 minutes, or until tender. In another pan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil, and add the rice and the remaining salt. Turn off the heat, and let the rice sit until the lentils are ready.

Rinse and drain the lentils and rice. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Stir in the partly cooked lentils and rice, cover the pan, and simmer the mixture slowly for about 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender.

Saute the onion in the oil until they soften and turn golden - five to seven minutes. Add the onion and oil to the cooked mixture, and serve.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails