Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Isolation

I forgot to write in my last blog about how there's an empty building across the street from us. A guy comes everyday and works on it. Yesterday, I went over and started a conversation with the guy that's there everyday. He happened to be the one who owns the building and is trying to make it into his office building when the economy picks back up and there's work for architects again. A couple of days before, I noticed a bunch of grapes growing behind the house and asked if I could have some. I also asked about the clothes drying rack. He said I could have the rack if I dug it up and I could take all the grapes since he doesn't eat them. So after talking to him for a couple more minutes, I went back home.

This morning, I looked out the window to see if he was there yet. He wasn't, so I slipped my shoes on and went over. He ended up driving up while I was about half way through. He came over and started talking to me for about 10-15 minutes before he stared working.

He lived in Atlanta as well, when he first came to America, though not that close to where we lived. So I asked him where he was from. He was born in Iran but lived in Europe more than in Iran. He came to America sometime in the 80's. After asking him where he likes it most, he told me Europe. I asked him why and he said it was because of the culture. Americans tend to isolate themselves from everyone, whether they're in the same space with someone or not. In Europe, people are more social and open to strangers. And here, you may have one or two close friends but if you're not busy, they usually are and there's not much interaction but in Europe, people live a slower paced life, in general and have time for things other than work and count friends as family. The conversation went on but that was the part that struck me because that was what I had been doing this morning. I went at a time I thought I could avoid him. He's a friendly guy, and I don't feel uncomfortable around him, so it wasn't that...that's just my nature. I tend to avoid interaction with others. Why do I do that? Old habits die hard I guess...but I did go over and introduce myself first...so I am slowly crawling out of my self-induced isolation chamber, so to speak.

And I ended up with a grocery bag of grapes...with more left to pick soon. I'll be making juice with them since they have thick skin and seeds, but the taste is DELICIOUS!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails