Thursday, September 8, 2011

shriveled

My poor garden did not do so well. We just planted too late and all the plants have shriveled. The carrots still seem to be doing fine. I picked the smallest one to see how it was doing. It was a pathetic little thing but still growing. I think they still have a couple months to grow. See the little orange stick below, connected to the green, lacey leaves? Yeah, that's my carrot. It tasted really good! Also, the greeb nean plants are mostly still hanging in there. All the squash cines have shriveled and disappeared so I took the two butternut squash and 1 acorn squash that hadn't yet rotted. There are 4 tiny watermelon. I took them because their vines had compltely dried out as well. I'm going to give them a try. I have nothing to lose. We got three little sugar snap peas...YUM! We'll definitely have to plant those next year. And the pile of greens is actually a weed called lamb's quarter's. I let them grow in the garden once I identified them. They're edible and a good replacement for spinach. We never even got a single tomato. Aside from the carrots and some of the green beans, everything else is done...shriveled. A sad end to my first garden but I will prevail and plant again. I am planning what/when to plant my fall garden now. I hope to have it in the ground before I go out to visit.

The black thing is a camra lens cover for size reference.

5 comments:

Heather and Thomas Mann said...

I'm sorry you didn't get as much as you'd hoped for :( But good that you can learn from your mistakes. Good luck with your fall garden! What do you plant then? I'm curious!

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm sorry! Your garden was so nice and orderly. Well, better luck next year, we can't control the rainfall! I had to giggle at your carrot though...so tiny. But, take heart, they will still grow, like you noted. Mine have been growing ALL summer...they are so slow!! Every time I pick a small one,(from testing to see if they are ready) I treat my rabbit to it. But she seems to prefer the green tops more. Good luck with your fall crop. I planted lettuce and spinach, but from experience in my state, I don't have luck with other veggies. love,andrea

Tiff :o) said...

Roots, broccoli, kale, cabbage...anything cold hardy. So not tomatoes, corn, lettuce. Basically nothing with heavy water content because they freeze easier.

Tiff :o) said...

Your rabbit would not have gotten full on my little carrot top, that's for sure. At least someone gets a use out of them at your house. lol. You say you have luck with spinach and lettuce? Hmmm...maybe I will give it a try then. Sometimes what I learn on the Internet just isn't true.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is so nice to keep a perpetual crop of lettuce and spinach! love,andrea

Related Posts with Thumbnails