Sunday, October 3, 2010

Day 2 Goblin Valley - Hog Springs

I still had hope that I could go see the park in the morning before I headed off. I woke up early (before sunrise) and cooked my breakfast and packed up.



But when I got to the edge of the hoodoos, I saw all the hills and I was already looking at a 66 mile day so I decided I would be better off skipping it again. That was a hard decision.





Someone at camp showed me their pictures of the pictographs I never found the day before and it was less than a mile out of the way, near a pit toilet I needed at that point anyway and not hilly so I decided to go find it for myself. I found it pretty quickly now that I knew what to look for.


A lot of the ride the first half of the day was downhill. There were lots of sand dunes and the sunflowers seemed to love the sand.

There was a scenic pullout halfway down the hill. Very cool to stop and see.




I stopped in Hanksville and ate some lunch. After I finished, I looked at my rim and noticed this crack.

The day got hot and shade was hard to find but I actually managed to keep up with two of the guys for a while.





Then I dropped into a canyon that wound around for a while. I was scanning the walls for ruins or pictographs. I never saw any.


This pictograph was near where we camped. There was a small stream flowing. You had to cross the stream and hike up to an alcove. It was in the alcove.

View inside the alcove.

The sun set in our little canyon and I slept very well.

4 comments:

Us said...

I love it! So cool! What a cool find on your arduous journey.

Heather and Thomas Mann said...

beautiful! glad you were able to find what you were looking for, you little adventurer!

Stella Andes said...

I love those pictures! I am so glad your trip was fun! It takes a special kind of person to find that fun!

Valerie said...

Gorgeous! Cool pictographs. Was that rim okay the whole time with the crack?

Related Posts with Thumbnails