Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Homemade sauerkraut

Finally, my homemade sauerkraut is done. I made a small batch because I was afraid of it not coming out right. The unveiling.

It needed to have more juices in it but a lot of it had evaporated. I'll have to keep a better check on that next time.


This first thing I made with it was a combination of apples, potatoes, sausage and sauerkraut. I thgouth it was pretty good. The apples came from a neighbor's tree, the potatoes were free from Lanette because she had bought too many and were going to go bad if they weren't used so I was feeling pioneer like. I bought some pumpernickle bread on sale because it was day old bread. I put homemade (by Adam's Aunt and Uncle) apple butter on the bread. It was a really good meal!

By the way, the counter top in that picture above is contact paper made for lining cabinet shelves. It was Adam's idea to cover the wood "counter tops" with it to make it easy to clean and it was a brilliant idea.


The second stuff I made also turned out to be the last for this batch since the batch was so small. It's called Heluski. It's just potato dumplings, sauerkraut and bacon. It was pretty bland, even with salt and pepper but it was good enough.

I have to make another full sized batch this time because I promised 2 people some of it and there wasn't nearly enough at all. Making it was simple, though time consuming to cut up the cabbage and crush it. After that though, it was 3 weeks of not much more than peeking in at and occassionally skimming it.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

Too bad you weren't closer so Dad could try some too.

Us said...

Do you like it? The muscles in my nose constrict and my stomach muscles tighten up just remembering the smell growing up! :) I hope you enjoyed, dad would be proud!

Tiff :o) said...

LOL...Jared, you're so funny. I didn't particularly like it growing up but I do remember HATING the smell. I actually like sauerkraut now. The homemade stuff tastes a little different, more mellow. I really like sauerkraut with fruit, apples and pineapple are both really good with it...and of course sausage. You need sausage.

Related Posts with Thumbnails