Monday, August 15, 2011

Bike ride to the garden

I am trying to fit everything into my schedule. It's tough. If I drive to the garden, it's a 40 or so minute round trip. If I bike there, it's a 1 hour 45 minute or so round trip. That doesn't count the time spent weeding or watering. I do drive there sometimes but sometimes, I just have to hop on my bike...to save on gas money as well as to fit in some much needed exercise time. So I do spend an extra hour commuting when I take my bike but it's time well spent to me.

When I take my bike, I put my rear panniers on to carry some clothes to protect me from the thick misquitos, a pair of shoes and sometimes a container if I think I may have some produce to bring home.



The ride to the garden is mostly more rural roads...at least compared to the roads around my house. The closer I get to the garden, the less traffic there is, except for one road I have to take for a few minutes. Then it's back to rural roads.







We had our first picking of green beans and got enough for a very hearty amount for each of us. There are a few more beans on the vine now...but they're still growing. We finally have pea blossoms and the bush beans look like they might produce something soon.


And of course the squash are trying to produce something as well.


On the ride back, I take a different route. This route has 4-5 fig trees lining the road at one point. Each time I ride past them, I stop and grab a handful to snack on for the next couple of days.


Here's the green beans after I got home and washed them. There's some kind of caterpillar eating holes in them so I have to do research to find out how to get rid of them.


Dinner that night was homegrown green beans, foraged figs, homemade sauerkraut, homemade wheat bread with honey and butter and a small bowl of lentil slaw (which is sprouted lentils, shaved carrots & diced tomatoes, with a apple cider vinigarette).

4 comments:

Tiff :o) said...

Oh, the slaw also had grilled corn kernels and peas in it. It was tasty...Adam wouldn't try it.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Adam sounds like my husband! Your scenery on your trip is beautiful! And your gardens look so healthy. When I was growing up in western pa., we (my best friend and my sisters) used to ride our bikes up our long road a couple of miles, then stop and eat a packed lunch of peanut butter and banana sandwiches, and then head home! love,andrea

Heather and Thomas Mann said...

Glad to see all your hard work it paying off! I had fresh string beans given to me the other day. I thought of you as I cooked them :)

Tiff :o) said...

Sounds like fun memories, Andrea! Riding my bike is one of my favorite things to do.

Thanks for thinking of me, Heather. Nice to know Produce brings me to mind. Lol

Related Posts with Thumbnails