Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Thirfty find of the year


Last year, in the summer, I found this bike at Goodwill. It's got flat bars, like a mountain bike. It's a name brand, Fuji with low end Shimano parts and both wheels have quick releases. Frankly, the bike confused me a little. It had skinny tires but flat bars. I couldn't figure out what it is. It was only $30 so I bit. I figured, I could strip the parts off it and give them to my mountain bike which is in serious need of working shifters and derailuers. But when I got it home, I looked at both bikes and instantly knew it just wasn't going to work for swapping out parts. The frame was too big for me though so I couldn't just use it instead of the mountain bike...plus the tires are so skinny that it wouldn't ork with the dogs too well anyway.

So, it's sat in the basement, gathering dust. Adam tried to get me to take it back to Goodwill and while I was gone on vacation to Utah, he hounded me about it so I told him that he could take it if it was that big of a deal. I had decided I could just fix it up to sell and make a bit of money. It currently has a few mechanical issues that I think I can handle. Well, he never took it to Goodwill even though he was acting like it was a huge deal.

Tonight, I finally went down there to take a look at it and to decide what I'd need to buy to work on it. Funny thing is, the bike actually seems to fit me. Bizzare, I know. There's no pedals on it currently and it's pouring out rain so I can't ride it to make sure. But I think I solved my problem of not having a lighter weight bike. It's not my first choice, or even second choice for a bike but beggars can't be choosers. Anyway, I don't know when I'll actually get the repairs done on it but now I know it may work for me which is pretty cool.

I did some reasearch on it and turns out it actually is a road bike just with flat bars...interesting. This year's model (I have no idea what year this one is) is selling for $459.99 .

3 comments:

Us said...

Great find!! I love a great deal. :) I'm hoping to have a bike for the Spring, but I doubt I'll find one like that at that price!

Heather and Thomas Mann said...

wow! great find! congrats on the bargain... and finding a lighter bike for yourself!

Tiff :o) said...

I don't think it will work for me after all...it really is just too big. Oh well...I still think it was a good find since it has the potential to help me make a little money.

Related Posts with Thumbnails