Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Corn tortillas and chili verde

Last night, I made dinner for tonight so I could eat before 9. Turns out that I didn't walk the dogs because I wasn't feeling too hot so I would have had time to cook but it worked out well anyway. I made the chili last night and the corn tortillas today. This was my first time making corn tortillas. They are even easier to make than flour tortillas which also are not hard to do. The flavor is much more subtle than store bought so I liked these better. Next time I will make them thicker and cook them for longer to make them more stiff. We have a tortilla press somewhere but I have no idea where so I just used a rolling pin this time. Even when using the press, I use a gallon sized ziploc bag with all but the end seam cut off. The dough doesn't stick to the bag. I am not good at getting circles even when I use the press so they are "rustic" shaped.

I once made pitas and these reminded me of that since they puffed up. But once off the grill, they fell.

Like I said, next time they will be thicker.

I put a little sour cream and mashed avacado on mine to help temper the spiciness of the chili.

Chili Verde

3/4 lb boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cube (I used chicken breast)
1 large onion, thinly sliced (didn't use)
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb fresh tomatillos, coarsely chopped
1 15-oz can chicken broth
1 4-oz canned diced green chilies
1 tsp ground cumin
1 15-oz can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup loosely chopped cilantro
sour cream

Spray large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add pork; cook until browned on all sides. Combine cooked pork and all remaining ingredients except cilantro and sour cream in slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Gently press meat against side of slow cooker with wooden spoon to shred. (That didn't work for the chicken so I just left them cubed.) Reduce to low. Stir in cilantro and cook 10 minutes. Serve with sour cream.

I was concerned that Adam wouldn't like it because he mentioned that he doesn't like verde sauces but I had already planned on making it so I gave it a shot. He really liked it and said he would definitely eat it again if I made it. He polished off 6 of the 8 tortillas as well. Dinner was a success.

6 comments:

Us said...

That looks really good and I'm REALLY hungry! If you're going to post these you need to have a scratch and taste button. :)

Valerie said...

I'm hungry too! And they look so delish, minus the avocado for me. I'm usually not picky, but am not a fan.

Tiff :o) said...

Thanks guys. You always have the best ideas, Jared. I think you should definitely invite a scratch and taste button. You would be rich in no time!!

Tiff :o) said...

Invent, not invite.

Heather and Thomas Mann said...

It does look yummy! You make sume cool stuff! i need to be more adventurous with my menus!

Stella Andes said...

That looks really yummy. I'm sure proud of you and your siblings for trying new recipes! I should emulate you "kids"!

Related Posts with Thumbnails