Sunday, March 18, 2012

gluten free flax wrap

The book Adam has been reading about wheat (the one that made his decided to give up wheat for 30 days) has a few recipes in the back. I was stumped for dinner one night and the recipe for wraps looked good so I whipped one up. A couple problems though...I don't have a microwave and I was out of eggs. So I had to improvise a bit. Here's the recipe from the book. I'll write about my changes.

Flax wrap

3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Pinch of sea salt
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon water
1 large egg

1. Mix together the ground flaxseeds, baking powder, onion powder, paprika and salt in a small bowl. Stir in the 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Beat in the egg and 1 tablespoon water until blended.

2. Grease a microwave-safe glass or plastic pie pan with coconut oil. Pour in the batter and spread evenly over the bottom. Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes until cooked. Let cool for 5 minutes.

Since I didn't have an egg, I used a "chia egg". I had heard of it but never tried it since I usually have eggs around. Chia seeds are what is used for chia pets. They are actually super nutritious. When mixed with water, they become very gelatenous. You can see how it's forming a layer around the seeds. After a few minutes, it was just one big glob...like an egg.


Now, to address the second issue, I used an electric griddle instead of a microwave, guessing on the temp. One thing is that as soon as it hit the griddle, it was bubbling and it made it hard to stretch it out to make a bigger wrap. It took a lot longer to firm up on the griddle than the microwave. I am guessing it probably cooked for about 10 minutes. I flipped it about halfway through. It broke down the center but it was still moldable so I squished it back together and it cooked in one piece.


I will be making these again...and when I do, I will cut the coconut oil in half. It really didn't need that much.

Once it was finished, I filled it with shredded carrots, lettuce, tomatoes and guacamole. Yum! Can I have another??

1 comment:

Heather and Thomas Mann said...

kinda cool! i never would have thought to make a wrap from flax! glad you enjoyed it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails