Wednesday, March 7, 2012

fun with crayons

I got this idea from Pinterest. I love that place! So many ideas!! This was supposed to be my youngest nephew's Christmas present. Well, he's not my youngest nephew now, but at the time he was at Christmas time. Anyway, I didn't have enoug time to get everything done before Christmas and still spend time with visiting family so I let this one fall to the wayside since he's only a few months old and wouldn't know he wasn't getting his present anyway.

Originally, his mom wanted me to make a very colorful quilt, so colorful that there was nothing it wouldn't match. I decided that I didn't want to make a quilt to hang on a wall for a couple of years then be put in a box, forgotten forever. It's too much work for that. So, this was my next idea...it's colorful, much more colorful than I probably could have made a quilt.

I had to organize the crayons by color. That part probably took about 20-30 minutes. Then I hot glued them into place on a canvas. That part took the longest. At this point, I quit working on it for about a week or two.


But I finally decided to tackle it and get it out of my house and off my to-do list. I thought this part was going to take the longest but it went pretty quickly. I was warned about flying wax so I put up a painter's cloth and got to work. I didn't grab my camera at first. I thought it would take a while to heat up the crayons enough to start dripping but it started within a couple minutes so I had to jump up and grab my camera.










It was actually fun watching it drip and spill.

This is my favorite section. Some wax flew...but that was about the extent of it.




Merry Christmas, Samerus!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails