So work continues on the dress. I recently had to unpick a lot of work because I did it wrong. So I am finally back to where I feel like I'm making a bit of progress.
Here are all the gathers at the bottom of the front. I hand stitched the gathers even though it wasn't in the instructions because if one of them broke, it would ruin the whole look. It went pretty quickly. I did it through the backside so you can't see it on the front side.
The shoulders called for gathers but I toyed with pleats and eventually went back to the gathers because they're easier. As of right now, this piece is waiting to be sewn to the lining.
The back pieces have gathers at top and bottom as well. They got resewn to the lining last night. This dress has the closures in the back so I will definitely need help getting dressed.
Finally touched the sleeves last night. There are 6 seperate sleeve pieces (3 for each side). A sleeve (full length), an oversleeve (like a 3/4 sleeve) and a mancheron (a cap sleeve of sorts). Each starts at the shoulder seam so that's gonna be a heavy sleeve! lol Guess what...there are more gathers in the sleeves! They sure liked their gathers! I got the gather stitches in both sleeves and over sleeves last night but haven't gathered them as of yet. The mancheron is kind of fancy...no gathers, just a few tucks and lace. I sewed one of the sleeves up to try it on last night. I have big hands so I wanted to make sure my hand could fit through the opening. It did. I need to lengthen the sleeves as my arms are also longer than the average women's apparently. The other area of concern for me is the area in front of my armpit. I feel like the incredible hulk in a lot of women's shirts because it's so tight at the armpit that I can't move very well. It felt like it would be ok...but once it's attached to the bodice (which I haven't been able to try on yet) will be the true test.