I don't know if I was just in the right mood last night or if this was just especially good but whatever the reason, I loved it. I ate a bite fresh from the oven and it was gooey and oozed everywhere. I had to wait for it to cool off before I could actually get it out of the pan without it falling apart. I took some straight over to Barry and Lanette so I wouldn't eat it all. Yum, yum! I even had all of the ingredients on hand and I never have the ice cream topping but I think I was just meant to make these!
Caramel Chocolate Bars
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
2 cups quick oatmeal
1 (16 ounce) bag chocolate chips
3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
1 1/4 cups margarine
2 cups flour, plus
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Cream brown sugar and margarine.
3. Add dry ingredients reserving 3 Tbsp of flour and stir in the oatmeal.
4. Press 1/2 of the mixture in the bottom of a greased 8 x 8 pan and bake for 10 minutes.
5. Sprinkle chocolate chips over crust.
6. Mix caramel topping with the reserved flour.
7. Drizzle this over the chips.
8. Sprinkle the top with the remaining crumb mixture.
9. Bake for an additional 15 minutes. (I had to bake for 20 minutes.)